Honestly, Dimitri Karakostas Is Expecting More

Posted on 1/05/2015 by UNITED PHOTO PRESS MAGAZINE

The young-blooded analogue photographer, Dimitri Karakostas, has been taking photographs of the skateboarding subculture since he was a teen. In this interview with him, you'll find out who he dreams of taking a portrait of, why he prefers analogue over digital, and many more...

Featured Photographer: Dimitri Karakostas

Location: Ontario, Canada


Tell us something about yourself.

I’m a 24 year old photographer based in Toronto, Ontario. I’ve been shooting skateboarding on film for a decade and I don’t intend on stopping anytime soon… even though my work has taken an 180 from that lately. I run Blood of the Young Zine which is an independent publishing house focused on working with emerging analogue photographers and write for Beautiful/Decay and generally stay as busy as possible.

How/When did you begin taking pictures? What was your first camera?


My first camera was a Polaroid One-Step 600. I shot a lot of polaroids when I started out which I regret now because I wound up giving so many of them away. Just shooting adventures and passing them around the next day at school — just for bragging rights, like “I was here and I did this.”